Studying with the VSL Course app
This page explains getting started with your study using the VSL course app.
At the beginning of Term 1, your teacher will contact you directly to introduce her/himself and explain in more detail the course requirements.
Getting started with the app:
You will need to install the VSL Course App onto your computer. it is available for these operating systems:
- Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10)
- iOS (iPad only)
You can install the app on multiple computers. If you do work on different computers make sure you 'sync' at the end of each session so the latest version of you work is available everywhere.
If you are a returning student and used the VSL course app in 2016, you will need to update to Version 1.3 See links below.
You can access your course work now by installing the app and logging in to the course. However, you must wait until the beginning of Term 1 to SUBMIT any work.
Install the VSL Course app with these links:
Once installed you should have the VSL Course App icon on your desktop:
Once the app is launched you should get this login page:
Use the login details from the 'Welcome' email.
If you forget/wish to change your password, go to this page: VSL Reset password. To change your email address, you must contact the VSL Enrolment Officer on 03 9474 0555 or SophieS@vsl.vic.edu.au.
Key points about the app:
- Read the Introduction and About this app pages to familiarise yourself with the course and using the App.
- You can install the app on as many computers as you like (e.g. school and home). Just remember to sync at the end of each session to make sure your progress is shared on all devices.
- Technical support is available at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a link to Course Help in the app on the main course page. If you have a problem using the app, please provide as many details as possible. Screen grabs of errors are always helpful.
Weekly course work:
The course is divided into 32 Worksets. Each week you are expected to complete and submit one Workset. Each Workset in the VSL Course App contains:
- practice activities
- activities for submission
- reading and listening texts
- grammar notes
- Key listening files can be downloaded
- There is a useful resource library in the app.
- Usually conducted at least fortnightly by phone or Skype
- You will need to contact your teacher at the beginning of the school year to organise a regular time for your Oral Lesson
- The Oral lesson booklet guides you through each lesson. This will be mailed to you at the beginning of each semester, and is also available to download from the Resource Library in the Course App.
Study & Revision Notes
- Includes key reading texts, grammar notes, vocabulary lists and other useful information
- This will be mailed to you at the beginning of each semester, and is also available to download from the Resource Library in the Course App.
Several day-long Seminars are conducted through the year.
- Meet your teachers and fellow Distance Education students
- Learn about the requirements of a VCE Languages course and get advice as to how to achieve the best results. Practise for Assessment Tasks, take part in grammar and conversation workshops.
- Seminar details will be made available at the start of term.
- As with all VCE subjects, formal assessment tasks must be completed under supervision at your school.
- Materials for your assessment will be posted to your school separately.