Studying with the VSL Course app
This page explains getting started with your study using the VSL course app.
At the beginning of Term 1, your teacher will contact you directly to introduce her/himself and explain in more detail the course requirements.
The VSL course app:
You will need to install the VSL Course App onto your computer. it is available for these operating systems:
- Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10)
- iOS (iPad only)
You can install the app on multiple computers. If you do work on different computers make sure you 'sync' at the end of each session so the latest version of you work is available everywhere.
If you already have the VSL Course app installed - you MUST update to Version 1.6. See login screen below.
Install VSL Course app Version 1.6
- Windows: VSL Course app Version 1.6 (exe)
When the download is complete open the EXE file and select Run
- MacOSX: VSL Course app Version 1.6 (dmg)
When the download is complete open the DMG file and launch the VSLCourseApp Installer
(You may need to change the security settings on your computer to allow the Course app to be installed. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and then allow apps downloaded from: and select Mac App Store and identified developers.)
- iPad: iTunes
Once installed you should have the VSL Course App icon on your desktop/launch bar:
Once the app is launched you should get this login page:
Use the login details from the 'Welcome' email.
If you forget/wish to change your password, go to this page: VSL Reset password. To change your email address, you must contact the VSL Enrolment Officer on 03 9474 0555 or SophieS@vsl.vic.edu.au.
Key points about the app:
- Read the Introduction and About this app pages to familiarise yourself with the course and using the App.
- You can install the app on as many computers as you like (e.g. school and home). Just remember to sync at the end of each session to make sure your progress is shared on all devices.
- Technical support is available at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a link to Course Help in the app on the main course page. If you have a problem using the app, please provide as many details as possible. Screen grabs of errors are always helpful.
Weekly course work:
The course is divided into 32 Worksets. Each week you are expected to complete and submit one Workset. Each Workset in the VSL Course App contains:
- online practice activities
- online activities for submission
- reading and listening texts
- grammar notes
In some languages, you may be required to submit weekly hand-written work as well. In this case, a Writing Workbook will be mailed to you. You have the option to mail back your worksheet each week, or scan and upload your worksheet through the Course App.
- Usually conducted at least fortnightly by phone or Skype
- You will need to contact your teacher at the beginning of the school year to organise a regular time for your Oral Lesson
- The Oral Lesson Booklet guides you through each lesson. This will be mailed to you at the beginning of each semester, and is also available to download from the Resource Library in the Course App.
Study & Revision Notes
- Includes key reading texts, grammar notes, vocabulary lists and other useful information
- may include some worksheets for hand-written tasks, that you then mail back to your teacher or upload to the Course App.
- These Notes will be mailed to you at the beginning of each semester, and is also available to download from the Resource Library in the Course App.
Also in the App
- Key listening files can be downloaded
- There is a useful online resource library.
For VCE courses, several day-long Seminars are conducted through the year.
- Meet your teachers and fellow Distance Education students
- Learn about the requirements of a VCE Languages course and get advice as to how to achieve the best results. Practise for Assessment Tasks, take part in grammar and conversation workshops.
- Seminar details will be made available at the start of term.
VCE School-Assessed Tasks
- As with all VCE subjects, formal assessment tasks must be completed under supervision at your school.
- Materials for your assessment will be posted to your school separately.